The mission of Adult Basic Education in Minnesota is to provide adults with educational opportunities to acquire and improve their literacy skills necessary to be self-sufficient and to participate effectively as productive workers, family members, and citizens.
WEST helps create a skilled and capable workforce, active and engaged citizens, educated parents and adults. All of these components are vital to our community’s strength. WEST ABE is an asset to the community by creating effective programming and promoting responsible stewardship.
- We are committed to maintaining and enhancing our community’s quality of life.
- We strive to be a dynamic organization that responds to community needs.
- Our instructors are licensed and volunteers are trained in adult education and research-based best practices.
WEST Adult Basic Education is a program of Monticello Community Education (fiscal agent).
Adult Basic Education addresses a variety of learner goals. ABE helps learners to:
- Attain employment and/or better their current employment;
- Achieve high school equivalent (GED);
- Attain skills necessary to enter post-secondary education and training;
- Exit public welfare and become self-sufficient;
- Learn to speak, read and write the English language;
- Master basic academic skills to help their children succeed in school;
- Become U.S. citizens; and
- Gain self-esteem, personal confidence and sense of personal and civic responsibility.