Want to Volunteer?
We are always looking for dedicated, flexible and qualified volunteers. The following are the steps to becoming a successful volunteer:
- To Begin Attend a New Volunteer Information Session to learn more about our opportunities and decide if volunteering with literacy is a good fit for you. Or, if you already feel you have enough information and would like to jump in and get started, attend a pre-service training. If you would like to volunteer with English language (ESL) learners, attend our ESL Pre-Service Training. If you are interested in helping adult learners improve their reading, writing or math skills or prepare for the GED, attend our Reading, Writing, Math and GED Pre-Service Training.
- Find a Location Choose a volunteer literacy program that fits your interests, skills, location and scheduling needs. Click on locations to see the location and schedule for each WEST ABE site.
- Site Orientation Once you’ve selected a program, contact the volunteer coordinator, Terrisa Fisher to become familiar with the program. The orientation may include observing a class, meeting staff and volunteers, and learning about their curricula.
- Begin Volunteering We provide useful resources to help you in your work, including access to our library, weekly tutor tips, and a monthly tutor e-newsletter.
- Continue Learning Take advantage of the free, frequent Tutor In-Service Workshops on a variety of topics.
For more information on becoming an Adult English Learner volunteer, please click here.
For more information on becoming a GED, Math, and Basic Education volunteer, please click here.
Monday, October 9
Plymouth 6-8 pm
Interfaith Outreach 1605 County Rd. 101 N Plymouth, MN
Wednesday, October 11
Buffalo 6-8 pm
Saturday, October 14
Buffalo 9 am – 4 pm
Thursday, October 19
Buffalo 6 – 9 pm
Buffalo Discovery Center 214 1st Avenue NE Buffalo MN